Dandruff is a common, inflammatory skin condition that causes flaky, white to yellowish scales to form on oily areas such as the scalp or inside the ear. It can occur with or without reddened skin. Dandruff is caused usually due to an overgrowth of harmless yeast called malassezia. In some people, the yeast starts to feed on the excess oil and dead skin cells on the scalp, causing the skin cells to shed more frequently and clump into flakes.” if you’re prone to dandruff, it’s most likely a problem that will continue to recur. It is better not to linger for flakes to make an emergence, take anticipatory action to avoid flare-ups. Diets high in saturated and Trans-Fats cause your sebaceous glands to produce more oil, which makes dandruff worse, you can control dandruff following actions:-
- Moisturize your hair. Keep your hair moisturized in order to get relief from Dandruff. Hair is most vulnerable to dandruff when dry. Your hair dries out, you begin to scratch, and dandruff aggravates.
- Frequently Wash Your Hair With Anti Dandruff Shampoo. Not shampooing as much as necessary will only make your dandruff worse. It causes more oil and dead skin cells to accumulate on your scalp, yeast and fungi keep on feeding on this oil and dead skin. Active ingredients in these shampoos include salicylic acid, coal tar, zinc, resorcin, ketoconazole, or selenium. Shampoos or lotions containing selenium, ketoconazole, or corticosteroids may be prescribed for severe cases.
- Avoid Blow Drying. Stay away from blow-dryeras it causes scalp to dry out and cause dandruff. When using a dryer, keep it at a distance of 10 inches from your scalp.
- Wash Hair with Cold Water. Cold water should be used for shampooing as it will help close pores and will give you much needed relief from flaking problem.
- Supplements. You may consider taking a pro-biotic (any of a group of beneficial bacteria) that can be found in yogurt or can be taken as a supplement in order to fight the overgrowth of yeast.
- Diet. Diets high in saturated and Trans- Fats cause your sebaceous glands to produce more oil, which makes dandruff worse. Avoiding these fats, as well as incorporating varied fruits and veggies that contain zinc and B vitamins, will help keep the flakes at bay.
Dandruff is most likely to reoccur as and when precautions are not taken, it is therefore important to remain on guard.