The main purpose of Oral Hygiene or Dental Hygiene is to avert the build-up of plaque on the teeth. Bacterial plaque buildup on teeth because of poor oral hygiene is the contributing factor of the most important dental problems. Good oral hygiene is one of the most important things you can do for your teeth and gums. Many dental health troubles, such as oral thrush, tooth decay, trench mouth, bad breath and others are considered as effect of poor dental hygiene. Healthy teeth make you look good, feel good and also make it possible to eat and speak correctly. Good Oral Hygiene means-
- Teeth are clean and free of debris
- Gums are pink
- Gums do not hurt or bleed when you brush or floss
- Bad breath is not a continuous problem
Daily Preventive Care. Proper brushing and flossing, will help stop problems before they develop and is much less hurting, expensive, and troublesome than treating conditions that have been allowed to progress.
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled brush. The size and shape of your brush should fit your mouth allowing you to reach all areas easily.
- Change your toothbrush every three or four months or sooner if the bristles are tattered. A damaged toothbrush will not do a fine job of cleaning your teeth.
- Use fluoride toothpaste.
- Tooth Brushing Technique
- Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums.
- Move the brush back and forth gently in short (tooth-wide) strokes.
- Brush the outer surfaces, the inner surfaces, and the chewing surfaces of the teeth.
- To clean the inside surfaces of the front teeth, tilt the brush vertically and make several up-and-down strokes.
- Flossing. Clean between teeth daily with floss or an inter-dental cleaner. Tooth decay-causing bacteria still stay behind between teeth where toothbrush bristles cannot reach. This helps remove plaque and food particles from between the teeth and under the gum line.
- Balanced Diet. Eat a balanced diet and limiting snacks between meals
- Fluoride. Children under 12 shall drink fluoridated water or take a fluoride supplement if they live in a non-fluoridated area.
- Tongue. Clean your Tongue with Tooth Brush, this will help in a fresh breath and to remove bacteria