Overview Oily Skin
Oily skin can cause a number of facial skin problems, including blackheads, acne and dryness. Moreover, Oily skin has a propensity to look greasy, soiled and unattractive because of the surplus sebum production that lubricates the skin. The grand thing about this category of skin is that it ages at a slower rate than other skin types. The oil in fact shields skin and lubricates it like a good cream; the result is less fine lines and wrinkles in the future. Even though hormones levels, stress and health issues can cause variations in the quantity of oil a person’s skin produces, genetics is determines the skin type. Since there is no way to prevent genetic inclination, one cannot be avoid oily skin. However, one can take preventive measures to reduce the ill effects of extra oil.
Dozen Tips for Prevention of Oily Skin
- Cleansing. Cleanse your face daily with a gentle cleanser suitable for oily skin, but not more than twice. Skip the creamy cleansers and go for the gel.
- Avoid alcohol-based cleansers. Moisturizing is crucial if you have combination skin.
Oily skin produces its own lubrication but you should moisturize your skin as well. Use water based moisturizers.
- Use Oil Free Makeup. Ensure to use makeup that does not block the pores and is oil-free. There are good foundations for oily skin that can control the shine and keep the skin dull.
- Face Masks. Use a clay-based face mask two or thrice a week.
- Steam your Skin. Steam your skin quite a few times a week. Include chamomile, lavender oil or dried herbs such as rosemary, parsley or thyme to the water.
- Drink a lot of Water. Keep your skin hydrated by drinking at least eight glasses of water a day.
- Watch your Diet. Reduce fats and oils in your diet. Increase your intake of fresh vegetables, fruits and whole grains.
- Use Diet Supplements. Supplement your diet with B-complex vitamins, vitamin A, vitamin C, zinc and vitamin E. You can also take a high-potency multivitamin.
- Use Facial Scrubs. A gentle facial scrub used twice a week will get rid of any dead skin cells on the surface, and allow the younger healthy skin to come through. Choose products containing alpha-hydroxy acids, which remove dead cells and give skin a smoother appearance
- Keep Removing Extra Oil from Skin. Buy blotting paper that is created for controlling oily skin. This paper can remove the oil and reduce shine, even if you are wearing makeup.
- Reduce Sun Exposure. Although the sun may seem to dry your skin, too much heat actually stimulates the production of more oil.
- Relax and Relieve Stress. Meditate, exercise, play, listen music, read, join aerobic classes or carry out any other activity that relieves stress and make you relax