What is Computer or Internet Addiction
An impulse control disorder, which does not involve use of an intoxicating drug and is very identical to pathological gambling. Internet addiction is a “clinical disorder”, obsessive internet use is a public health problem, which is so serious that it should be treated clinically. The sub types of internet addiction are excessive gaming, sexual preoccupations and e-mail/text messaging.
Effects of Computer or Internet Addiction
Excessive use of computer and internet is often results in
- Losing track of time
- Neglects the basic needs by computer or internet addict such as eating or sleeping.
- A withdrawal state
- Feelings of anger, tension or depression in an internet addict, when he does not have access to the computer or internet.
Some statistics of Computer or Internet Addiction
Computer or Internet Addiction is a growing problem and is increasing with time, as now increasing number of people have access to computer and internet. The problem is more pronounced among children and teens.
- About 210,000 South Korean children between the ages of six and 19 (2.1%) are affected by this disorder and require treatment.
- In China, about 10 million (13.7%) adolescent Chinese internet users meet the diagnostic criteria for internet addiction.
Signs and Symptoms of Computer or Internet Addiction
- Excessive time devoted to Internet use
- Remain preoccupied with the computer or Internet thoughts when away from it.
- Fruitless efforts to cut back or stop Internet use.
- Irritable when offline, or angry toward anyone who questions their time on the Internet
- Sensations of restlessness, moodiness, depression, or irritability on cutting down use of the computer or internet.
- Loss of significant relationships, job, educational or career opportunities because of Internet use.
- Conceals or lies about the extent of involvement with computer or internet.
- Uses it to relieve a bad mood like Feelings of hopelessness, guilt, anxiety, depression
Physical Adverse Effects of Computer or Internet Addiction
Computer or internet addiction can result in a number of physical problems. Some of them are as follows:-
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Dry Eyes
- Back aches and Neck aches
- Severe Headaches
- Eating Irregularities, (Such As Skipping Meals)
- Failure To Attend To Personal Hygiene
- Sleep Disturbance.
Treatment of Computer or Internet Addiction
Treatment of internet addiction needs willingness and full support of computer or internet addict. it is important that computer or internet addict shall recognizes the disorder and is convinced to fight it out.
- Analyze your Computer or internet Routine
- Take a computer or internet addiction assessment test
- Identify the underlying problem that may be resulting in computer or internet addiction
- Chalk out a strategy to fight computer or internet addiction
- Break your computer usage routine
- Ask your family or partner to help you in overcoming the Problem or join a support group
- Add physical activity or sport you like in daily routine
- Fix timings for computer or internet use, display it on computer, and set time alarm. Tell your support group to warn of over use of computer.
- Participate in more off line activities
- Re –assess your new computer or internet routine after a fixed time and make necessary adjustments in your strategy.
- Seek professional help if the problem persists.