What is Cannabis or Marijuana
Cannabis is a variety of flowering plants that includes three recognized varieties, Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica, and Cannabis ruderalis. Cannabis is also named as marijuana (from the Mexican Spanish marihuana), grass, hashish, hemp, and pot. Native Cannabis plant is grown in parts of Central Asia, it is believed to have originated in the mountainous regions of India, and grows wild in many parts of the world. Afghanistan is known to be one of the major cultivating area of Cannabis crop.
Chemical Compounds in Cannabis or Marijuana
The plant contains more than 400 chemicals, including Cannabidiolic Acid, an antibiotic with similar properties to Penicillin. Major ingredients of Cannabis are Delta 9 trans-tetrahydrocannabinol, tetrahydrocannabitriol (aka cannabitriol), cannabidiolic acid, cannabidiol cannabinol (forms after plant dies), THC acids A and B (inactive unless smoked). The Active Ingredients of Cannabis THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) gets a user high; a larger THC content will produce a stronger high.
Types of Cannabis Drug
Cannabis is used as a Drug in various forms, few of it is as follows:-
- Resin Cannabis. A brown/black lump, known as bhang, ganja, hashish, resin etc;
- Herbal Cannabis. It is Prepared from the dried flowering tops and variable amounts of dried leave, notorious as grass, marijuana, spiff, weed etc.
- Synthetic Cannabis. Synthetic cannabis is a psychoactive designer drug derived of natural herbs sprayed with synthetic chemicals that, when consumed, allegedly mimic the effects of cannabis
How the Cannabis Drug is used
The resin or the dried leaves are mixed with tobacco and smoked as a ‘spiff’ or ‘joint’, occasionally, it is chewed also. More than half of its psychologically active chemical ingredients are absorbed into the blood when smoked. These compounds tend to build up in fatty tissues throughout the body, so it takes a long time to be excreted in the urine. Cannabis Drug can be identified in urine even up to 56 days.
Cannabis Addiction Stats
About 147 million people, 2.5% of the world population, consume cannabis, compared with 0.2% consuming cocaine and 0.2% consuming opiates.
Effects of Cannabis Drug
- Pleasant Effects of Cannabis Drug. Cannabis Drug induces a state of intoxicated relaxation, euphoria and dreaminess for users.
- Ill Effects of Cannabis Drug. Unpleasant experiences of Cannabis Drug includes following :-
- Increased Heart Rate
- Disturbed Heart Rhythm
- High Blood Pressure
- Long Term Effects of Cannabis Drug.
- Poor Performance at Work
- Five times more likely to develop depression and anxiety
- Four times more likely to develop a psychotic disorder
- Physical Health Risks
- Increased Risk of Mental Health Problems
Treatment of Cannabis Drug Addicts
Occasional users may be able to get drug addiction habit at their own, However; regular user will require therapy to get rid of this habit.
Beneficial Uses of Cannabis
Medically Cannabis has several beneficial effects, some of these are:
- The Amelioration Of Nausea And Vomiting
- Stimulation Of Hunger In Chemotherapy And Aids Patients
- Lowered Intraocular Eye Pressure (Effective For Treating Glaucoma)
- General Analgesic Effects