The name comes from the Sanskrit words Ushtra, meaning “camel”. Many people find backbends difficult or challenging but it is not very difficult yoga posture. The yoga Bow Pose is similar to this pose.
Technique of Utrasana or Camel Pose
- Adjust the yoga mat on the floor. Take padding under your knees If you feel pain or have a problem in your knees
- Sit onto your knees, the soles of your feet should face upward, toenails touching the floor
- Place your palms on your hips and try to keep your outer hips as soft as possible.
- Breathe deeply.
- Raise your hips positioned over your knees. Keep the shoulders straight over your hips
- Position your palms touching your hips, while fingers should pointing towards the floor
- Start pushing your hips forward so that they come straight up on the knees.
- Reach your hands back one at a time to grasp your heels
- Waist should be pushed upward as if to make a circle
- Put your palms on your feet
- Allow your head to come backside, opening the throat
- Now your body will resemble camel
Benefits of Utrasana or Camel Pose
- The asana improves core strength, spinal, hip and shoulder flexibility
- Improves Stamina
Precautions for Utrasana or Camel Pose
- If you are beginner do this pose carefully
- 20-25 seconds are enough for beginners
- Avoid this exercise in pregnancy
- Many beginners to yoga may feel ill, with lightheadedness or nausea
- After performing Ustrasana or Camel Pose, the pulse rate will often have increased considerably
Benefits of Camel Pose or Ustrasana
- Stretches the front of the body including the chest, abdomen, and quadriceps.
- Improves spinal flexibility.
- Yoga Cat Cow Pose (healthinessbox.com)
- Yoga Cow Pose or Bitilasana (healthinessbox.com)
- Yoga Meditation Poses or Postures – Yoga Lesson Ten (healthinessbox.com)
- Yoga Cat Pose or Marjariasana (healthinessbox.com)
- Yoga Burmese Pose – Yoga Lesson Eleven (healthinessbox.com)
- Yoga Egyptian Pose – Yoga Lesson Twelve (healthinessbox.com)
- Sukhasana (Common and Easy Meditation Pose) – Yoga Lesson Thirteen (healthinessbox.com)