Upward Facing Dog Pose closely bear a resemblance to Cobra Pose, it is considered one of the easiest of the back-bending poses and is usually performed during the Sun Salutation Series. This pose is devised to strengthen the legs and buttocks, as well as the shoulders, upper body, arms and wrists. It is frequently practiced pose, repeatedly during Ashtanga, Vinyasa and Power Yoga classes. It is useful as a strength-builder and as a step toward deeper backbends.
Technique of Yoga Upward Facing Dog Pose
- Lay face down on your mat
- Stretch your legs back, with the tops of your feet on the floor
- Spread legs long with a feeling of extension through the length of the toes and spread hips-width apart. spread a few inches apart
- Bend your elbows and place your palms flat to the ground, fingers spread, hands completely plugged into the floor and have your fingertips alongside your chest.
- Inhale as you press through your hands firmly into the floor. Straighten your arms, lifting your upper body and your legs a few inches off the floor.
- Press down firmly through the tops of your feet. Strongly engage your leg muscles to keep your thighs lifted off the floor.
- Draw strength from the core of the body by firming but not tightening the lower body.
- Breathe regularly and hold the pose for about 15 seconds
- To let loose, exhale as you slowly lower your torso and forehead to the mat. Turn your head to the right, resting your left ear on the mat. Relax your arms alongside your body
Benefits of Yoga Upward Facing Dog Pose
- Stretches the chest and spine
- Strengthens the wrists, arms and shoulders
- By strengthening and opening the upper body and chest
- It improves posture
- It can be curative for asthma
- It firms the buttocks and thighs
- Helps to relieve Sciatica Pain
Precautions for Yoga Upward Facing Dog Pose
- Abstain from this exercise if you have Arm or Wrist injury
- Abstain from this pose if you are suffering from backbone injuries
- Yoga Downward Facing Dog Pose (healthinessbox.com)
- Yoga Camel Pose or Utrasana (healthinessbox.com)
- Yoga Meditation Poses or Postures – Yoga Lesson Ten (healthinessbox.com)
- Yoga Cat Pose or Marjariasana (healthinessbox.com)
- Yoga Burmese Pose – Yoga Lesson Eleven (healthinessbox.com)
- Yoga Cat Cow Pose (healthinessbox.com)
- Yoga Cow Pose or Bitilasana (healthinessbox.com)