Ancient Greek philosophers believed that music could heal both the body and the soul. A number of clinical trials have shown the benefit of music therapy for short-term pain, including pain from cancer. Music Therapy is a medical process that uses music to heal. When used with conventional treatment, music therapy can help to reduce pain and suffering. Music therapy is an interpersonal process, the therapist uses music and all of its features to help clients to improve or maintain their health.
Uses of Music Therapy
Many hospitals and research centers use Music Therapy for following purposes:-
· To help with pain management
· To help to protect against depression
· To promote body movement
· To calm down patients
· To ease muscle tension
· To improve cognitive functioning, motor skills, emotional and affective development
· To improve behavior and social skills
· To improve quality of life
How Music Therapy Works
Music Therapy is used to supplement medicines and results in more cooperation from the patient
· Music with a strong beat can stimulate brainwaves to resonate in sync with the beat, with faster beats bringing sharper concentration and thinking that is more alert. A slower music tempo promotes a calmness, serenity, tranquility and meditation. Music can bring the change in brain action levels that enables the brain to shift speeds as desired. In this manner, the music can bring lasting benefits to the patient.
· Music can control breathing rate, slower the breathing rate the slower would be the heart rate and vice versa. Alteration in breathing rate means its impact on our nervous system. This is how music therapy can help to heal various diseases that are related with our nervous system like stress, depression and anger management.
· Music can relax our mind and muscles, thus it is a useful aid in anxiety disorders and depressions.
· The theme of the music can affect our thought process, resulting in happy and positive behavior
· Slow and soothing music can result in relaxed mind and muscles, one can use music therapy to treat sleep disorder
How to Design Music Therapy
Doctor and qualified Music Therapist design the Effective Music Therapy with mutual consultation, most of the time Music Therapy will supplement medicines.
- Re-creative experiences are most appropriate for patients who need to develop sensorimotor skills, learn adaptive behaviors, maintain reality orientation, master different role behaviors and identify with the feelings and ideas of others.
- Playing instruments can help physically disabled clients to develop gross and fine motor coordination.
- Music listening experiences can be used with clients who need to be activated or soothed physically, emotionally, intellectually or spiritually.
- Composing music can be used with clients who need to learn how to make decisions and commitments
Competences of Music Therapist
Competencies as a music therapist involves
- Client assessment
- Implementation of music therapy strategies
- Discharge planning
- interdisciplinary team work.
- Add Fragrance to your Garden, it improves your Mood
- Health Enhancing Indoor Plants
- Xylitol or Birch Sugar