In recent years, there has been lot of awareness among people about the negative effects of the obesity and extra weight on our day-to-day life. Everyone wants a quick fix, that too without much of efforts. Surgery, weight loss pills/diet pills seems to be an easy way out. The questions are “Is it safe” “Does it work”. Let examine Weight Loss Pills or Diet Pills in detail.
Types of Weight Loss Pills or Diet Pills
Weight Loss Pills or Diet Pills can be divided into three categories:-
1. Prescription Drugs. These drugs are available on prescription of doctor only. These drugs are approved by FDA and are monitored and evaluated by Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. The prescribing doctor closely monitors use of these drugs and its effects on the user.
2. Over the Counter (OTC) Drugs. These drugs can be purchased without the prescription of doctor from drug stores and sometimes supermarkets. FDA also regulates these drugs. OTC drugs also fall under the jurisdiction of the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research.
3. Herbal Diet Supplements. These are considered by the FDA to be food products as opposed to drugs. Huge varieties of these food supplements are available in health food shops and nutrition stores along with regular supermarkets. These are often labeled as “All Green or All Natural”, these are regulated by FDA in a different manner.
How Weight Loss Pills or Diet Pills Work
1. Appetite Suppressants. These drugs can be purchased by a doctor’s prescription or bought over the counter (OTC). These pills either decrease Hunger or increasing the sensation of fullness or thus promote weight loss.
2. Fat Blockers. Fat blocker diet pills are not for everyone; these are usually available with doctor’s prescription. When we eat foods with fat in them, lipase normally breaks down the fat when it gets to the intestinal tract. With a lipase inhibitor in effect, a percentage of the fat ingested is removed from the body through bowel movements instead of being broken down and absorbed. The active ingredient in most fat blockers is Chitosan, a natural product that comes from shellfish.
Risks of using Weight Loss Pills or Diet Pills
Many diet pills assure phenomenal outcomes while failing to unveil grave health risks to consumers. Diet pill side effects range from headaches to heart attacks and even death in some cases.
1. Some of the medicines speed up the heart rate, thereby increasing the risk of heart attack. Ephedra is one such example that was banned by FDA.
2. Some of these weight loss pills were found to be associated with heart disease, appetite suppressants fenfluramine (or dexfenfluramine) and phentermine were witdrawn from market.
- Weight Loss Surgery
- Weight Loss Surgery (Bariatric Surgery)
- Weight Loss, Weight Control and Obesity Basics
- Foods to Fight Obesity
- Good Fats, Bad Fats
- Height and Weight Chart For Men
- Height and Weight Chart For Women
- Herbs for Weight Loss
- Weight Loss pills or Diet Pills
- Lose Weight Fast
- Dietary Fiber – Helps in Weight Loss