Eating out should not interfere with your healthy diet plan. Eating out should not mean eating everything or eating anything. You should keep following points in your eating out Plan:-
- Make a smart eating strategy
- Plan ahead and select an eatery/restaurant catering for everyone
- Consider the Menu
- Choose foods in advance carefully to keep you on your within diet plan
- Search net and download menu or get copy of menu before hand
- Make a plan
- Eat a light lunch, if you are going to a restaurant for dinner so that you do not exceed daily dietary calorie limit and vice versa
- Pre-Select foods from menu, prefer steamed, broiled, baked or grilled, avoid fried and sautéed items over foods described as “crispy,” or “rich”.
Selection of Eatery/Restaurant
- Think ahead and read reviews and prices from internet, if available.
- Consider meal options at different restaurants
- Find places with a wide range of menu items
- Check nutrition information of various items, if available.
- Balance your order by embracing foods from all the different food categories i.e meat, dairy, fruits, vegetables, and grains.
- Prefer freshly made salads, entrée salads with chicken, cheese or seafood provides protein along with fiber and vitamins. Exploit a low-fat dressing or skip a few of the extras.
- Order menu items that contain fewer calories and eat a smaller portion.
- Order an appetizer in place of an entrée and add a small salad to meal.
- In burgers and sandwiches, go with low-fat options like with lettuce, tomato and onion. Select condiments like ketchup, mustard and low-fat dressings.
- Balance your meal by ordering healthy side dishes, such as a side salad with low-fat dressing, baked potato or fruit.
- Replace fries in a combo-meal with salads having low fat dressing. Alternatively, skip combo-meal and order individual items.
- Be vigorous, ask menu questions and make individual requests to meet your nutritional requirements.
- A lot of restaurants serve huge portions, sometimes enough for two or three people, either order less meals and share or eat a smaller portion and take leftovers home for another meal.
How to Consume Meal
- Eat slowly. Your brain receives “not hungry” message from your stomach in about 20 Minutes, so enjoy every bite by eating slowly. Fast eaters frequently are overeaters.
- Do not eat to finish all the Food. If done, get the remaining food packed for another meal, do not overeat to finish all the food.
- Keep space for sweet dish. Sweet dishes are usually served at the end, so keep space for sweet dish, so that you do not end up overeating.