Typhoid fever is a common condition that causes abdominal pain and high fever; therefore, Typhoid Foods shall place less stress on the digestive system of patient. Guiding principles to be kept in mind while including Typhoid Foods in Diet Plan are as follows:-
- Include enough proteins
- Plan adequate nutrients
- Ensure sufficient fluids to maintain the electrolyte level and maintain water balance
- Include High Calorie Foods to maintain the weight or to gain weight. Caloric requirement may be as high as 2500-3000 Kcal per day.
- Daily requirement of protein ranges from 80-120 gms to make up for tissue wasting. Good quality proteins like egg and milk should be incorporated.
- Ensure Minerals especially calcium, iron and phosphorus is to be provided liberally as they help in regeneration of cells, blood and body fluids.
- Diet must be planned judiciously to provide good dose of vitamins especially vitamin A and vitamin C as these are essential for the regenerative purpose.
Typhoid Foods shall include High Protein so that patient can maintain weight, if there is no diarrhea, milk, custards, fruit milk shake, thin dhal, eggs, soft cooked fish and chicken may be given. Soft foods are easy to digest and so these are first requirement of Typhoid Foods and treatment plan, ensure all foods that are included are mashed or at least cooked until they are very soft. Mashed potato and other soft cooked vegetables and fruits like banana must be given. High-calorie foods help prevent weight loss while you are dealing with this infection. Keep up a high calorie intake with plenty of carbohydrate, Examples of high-calorie typhoid foods are as follows:-
- White Rice
- White Bread
- Fruit Juice.
- Fruit Juices With Glucose
- Coconut Water
- Barley Water
Typhoid Foods to eat while Recovery
As the symptoms subside, semi-solid foods can be incorporated into this diet, for instance, custards, porridge, rice with yogurt and so on. Milk, fruit juices and barley are good options as well. Slightly overcooked rice along with yogurt should be included in a diet for typhoid patients as rice contains a small amount of fiber that helps to regulate the digestive system while yogurt contains healthy cultures that reduce the severity of stomach flu Juices and carbohydrate rich items such as steamed fruits are very important. Buttermilk and softened soda crackers are good options while bland rice pudding, porridge, and custard are also good typhoid foods. A typhoid recovery diet plan should also include yogurt and eggs as they are easier to digest that the more complex proteins. Vegetarians can start to include lentils, legumes and even cottage cheese, in their diet. It is important to include a variety of well steamed fruits and vegetables in the patient’s typhoid diet and treatment plan