There are four main Fat Types that are available in our food, these are discussed below:-
Unhealthy Fat Types
- Saturated Fats. Saturated fat is solid at room temperature, which is why it is also known as “solid fat.” Saturated Fats are present in many prepared foods made with hydrogenated oils, as well as fatty meats, full-fat dairy products, butter, lard, coconut oil, palm oil, palm kernel oil, cocoa butter, milk, cheese, and meat. Saturated fat can raise your cholesterol; therefore, a healthy diet shall have less than 10% of daily calories from saturated fat. The foods with highest level of saturated fats is as follows:-
- Pizza and cheese
- Whole and reduced fat milk, butter and dairy desserts
- Meat products (sausage, bacon, beef, hamburgers)
- Cookies and other grain-based desserts
- Mexican fast food dishes
- Trans Fats. This is a fat that has been changed by a process called hydrogenation and it is harder at room temperature. Trans Fat is present in all foods made with shortening or partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, and many snack foods, fast foods Snack foods, such as chips and crackers, Cookies, Some margarine and salad dressings and ready-prepared foods. Trans Fat can raise your cholesterol, so eat as little Trans Fat as possible.
Healthy Fat Types (unsaturates)
Unsaturated Fat is liquid at room temperature, these are mostly available in oils from plants. Unsaturated Fats are predominantly found in foods from plants, such as vegetable oils, nuts, and seeds. Unsaturated Fat may help improve your cholesterol levels.
- Monounsaturated Fats/Monounsaturates. These fats are available in olive, canola and peanut oils, avocados, non-hydrogenated margarines, nuts and seeds. Monounsaturated fats may help lower your “bad” LDL cholesterol and may also keep “good” HDL cholesterol levels high.
- Polyunsaturated Fats/Polyunsaturates. This type of fat is mainly in vegetable oils
- Omega-3 Fat. The body can’t make these, so they must come from food. It is available in Safflower, sesame, sunflower and corn oils, non-hydrogenated margarines, nuts and seeds
- Omega-6 Fat. It is available in fattier fish, canola and soybean oils, flax seed, omega-3 eggs, walnuts