Diets such as the Atkins, Zone, Protein Power, Sugar Busters and Stillman diets are not balanced in terms of the essential nutrients our bodies need. Some are high protein and emphasize foods like meat, eggs and cheese, which are rich in protein and saturated fat. Some restrict important carbohydrates such as cereals, grains, fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products. If followed for a long time, they can result in potential health problems. These diets may result in quick weight loss, but more research is needed on their effectiveness for long-term weight loss.
Adverse effects of High Protein Diets
- Eliminating carbohydrates causes a loss of body fluids. Lowering carbohydrate intake also prevents the body from completely burning fat. In the diets that are also high in protein, substances called ketones are formed and released into the bloodstream, a condition called ketosis.
- Excess protein in body that is not effectively metabolized may result in higher risk of kidney and liver disorders, and osteoporosis.
- Eating too much protein can increase health risks. High-protein animal foods are usually also high in saturated fat. Eating large amounts of high-fat foods for a sustained period raises the risk of coronary heart disease, diabetes, stroke and several types of cancer.
- Some high-protein diets restrict the use of high-carbohydrate, high-fiber plant foods. Reducing consumption of these foods usually means other, higher-fat foods are eaten instead. This raises cholesterol levels even more and increases cardiovascular risk.
- High-protein diets don’t provide some essential vitamins, minerals, fiber and other nutritional elements. A high-carbohydrate diet that includes fruits, vegetables, nonfat dairy products and whole grains reduce blood pressure, limiting these foods may raise blood pressure.
Best Approach to Lose Weight
The American Heart Association recommend to take a safe and proven route for losing and maintaining weight. By paying attention to portion size and calories and following their guidelines, you can enjoy healthy, nutritionally balanced weight loss for a lifetime of good health. Variety of foods, rich in fresh fruits and vegetables along with regular physical activity can help most people manage and maintain weight loss.