Research has shown that there a number of health benefits contributed to smiling and laughing. A genuine smile is more powerful in terms of personal health benefits, even a fake smile can make the person doing the smiling feel better.
- Heart Disease. People who smile and laugh often are less likely to develop heart disease.
- Stress. Smiling releases endorphins that counteract and diminish the stress hormones.
- Immune System. Smiles help the body relax and this lets the immune system react more quickly and effectively against invaders.
- Blood Pressure. Smiling also lowers blood pressure.
- Negativity. Cortisol is more active when we feel stressed or anxious and contributes to the unpleasant feelings we often experience, by increasing endorphins and lowering cortisol through laughing, we can reduce these negative feelings.
- Pain Killer. Smiling and laughter both have been shown to lessen pain. They release endorphins that lift our moods, but many of these act as natural painkillers too.